30 May 2010

Whoah, it's summer....

What's up, blog world? Welcome to summer, wherever in the real world you may be. I'm currently sporting sunburn (base tan?) #7 of the season, so clearly, it's been hot here for a while.

I know, I know, it's not OFFICIALLY summer until the SCF is over, but you know what? I honestly couldn't give a shit less about who wins it this year. I'm pissed off the Bruins fucked themselves out of their shot, and I'm happy it's not freakin' Detroit or Pittsburgh again. Other than that, I don't care.

A lot of bloggers are going through and grading the players on their season's performance. I'm not that kind of blogger. I mean, I'd be more than happy to give some grades, but I'm not gonna do any in-depth posting on why, nor giving an entire post to one player ('cept maybe Lucic. Or Krejci...). So here's my bare-bones thoughts on the tragic ending of a tragic season (at least it was consistent).

Marc Savard, was the veteran in the situation. Blaming Sobotka for the too-many-men penalty is bush league. He should be ashamed of himself. I'm not wearing his jersey again until November, unless he does some pretty spectacular shit in the opening month of the season. I'm not above hopping back on the Savvy bandwagon a little early.

The real Milan Lucic showed up in the playoffs. Where was he prior to that? Sure, playoffs give you the adrenaline and the push you need to do what needs to get done, but it would've been nice to see the beast in the regular season. Bring the playoffs-Looch back for next season. Not the injury-prone Looch.

The real David Krejci showed up with about 3 weeks left in the regular season. The Olympics brought out the best in him, and if he'd had the ability to pick up the entire Czech team and carry them to gold, he would have. But he can't be a goaltender, too. If he hadn't been injured, he would have added even more power to the team that won World's. Small consolation.

Dennis Wideman and Matt Hunwick, what the fuck? One of you is going to be gone next season. You only have yourselves to blame.

Johnny Boychuck, you are made of awesome. Am I the only person that's ever noticed that before every slapshot goal, he spins his stick in his hands? This, I believe, is the key to the goal. Not sure why, maybe it's the momentum. But for a journeyman everyone kept confusing with Zach Boychuk (maybe it was just me?), this guy's got the goods, and I demand he remain in Black and Gold for years to come.

Perhaps it is time for Zdeno Chara to step down as captain. Let Patrice Bergeron wear the C. I'm not necessarily talking shit about Z here, but he did not step up during playoffs, and aside from a soundbite after every game, there didn't appear to be a lot of captaining going on from #33.

Following that, Bergy, epitomizes the heart and soul of the Bruins. I can't fucking wait until next season to see what he's ready to do. Here's to hoping he has a team full of awesome to work with.

To all of the Bruins, Savvy excluded, I'm ashamed and hurt that so little was done in retaliation of Cooke's hit on Savard. Michael Ryder in particular.

Tuukka was the man for sure, but in this blogger's opinion, he was ridden a little too hard, too soon. Next season, I suggest doing what was done in 08-09, and splitting the games between he and Timmy. It's the logical solution.

Shawn Thornton, you keep being you.

Why couldn't Miro Satan play in the regular season like he did in the playoffs?

Vladimir Sobotka, welcome to the NHL. Keep on keeping on, but keep a closer eye on the line changes. If Vladi keeps playing the way he did this season, he should also be in the lineup for years to come. His points could come up, but he needs to consistently play centre for this to happen and not be stuck haphazardly on the wing every other game.

Marco Sturm's OT GWG in the Classic is all I really have to point to.

Dennis Seidenberg, we hardly knew ye. But what we saw was pretty tight. Bring back some more next season.

Mark Stuart and Marc Recchi, I love you both.

There were other guys on the team, but I can't remember who right now (hi, headache), so I'm wrapping up my summary now. Bruins' overall grade: C+ regular season, B+ playoffs.

The B's signed defenceman Yuri Alexandrov today to an entry level contract ($730k cap hit for next season). The only thing I can think of when I hear his name is this:

For full context, here's the video:



No comments: